Retailers’ immediate focus is on adding capabilities to their current POS, while future plans include moving to cloud-based commerce platforms
Boston, MA – April 24, 2019– According to BRP’s SPECIAL REPORT: The State of Store Technology, the store is still a major part of the customer journey with 79% of consumers indicating they frequently purchase merchandise in a store. With an increased focus on customer engagement and the convergence of physical and digital, the point of sale or commerce platform plays a critical role in shaping the customer shopping experience. The right technology foundation is essential to support the best in-store customer experience.
“Stores remain center stage in the shopping experience, and that experience is an ever-increasing factor in where consumers choose to shop,” said Brian Brunk, principal at BRP Consulting. “Retailers understand the importance of keeping up with customer expectations, in fact, 75% are considering cloud-based platforms as part of their in-store technology plans over the next several years.”
BRP’s SPECIAL REPORT: The State of Store Technology is based on findings from the BRP Consumer Study and the 2019 POS/Customer Engagement Survey and offers insights into the state of retailers’ current store technology and their future plans.
- 96% indicate that ease of checkout and payment are important factors when choosing where to shop
- More than 55% indicate that in-store technologies like self-checkout, product locator, inventory lookup, and endless aisle are important factors when choosing where to shop
- 68% are likely to choose a store offering buy anywhere, ship anywhere services over one that doesn’t
- 53% are focused on adding additional capabilities to existing POS and 48% plan to replace their POS within three years to improve the checkout experience
- As retailers make decisions on new POS systems, 75% indicate they plan to have cloud-based solutions within three years
- 94% plan to address holistic customer engagement with the implementation of a single unified commerce platform
To download BRP’s SPECIAL REPORT: The State of Store Technology, visit:
BRP is an innovative retail management consulting firm dedicated to providing superior service and enduring value to our clients. BRP combines its consultants’ deep retail business knowledge and cross-functional capabilities to deliver superior design and implementation of strategy, technology, and process solutions. The firm’s unique combination of industry focus, knowledge-based approach, and rapid, end-to-end solution deployment helps clients to achieve their business potential. BRP’s consulting services include:
Strategy | Business Intelligence | Business Process Optimization | Point of Sale (POS)
Mobile POS | Payment Security | E-Commerce | Store Systems and Operations | CRM
Unified Commerce | Customer Experience | Order Management | Networks
Merchandise Management | Supply Chain | Private Equity
For more information on BRP, visit http://www.brpconsulting.com.