81% of Retailers Plan to Have Unified Commerce within Three Years
The customer journey and associated expectations continue to rapidly evolve – driving a major transformation in retail. Disruption and adaptation are changing the customer engagement model and blurring the lines among retailers, brands and wholesalers. Unified commerce is the key to this retail transformation. Critical to unified commerce are the four key pillars that we have identified to define the required customer experience: personal, mobile, seamless and secure.
BRP’s 2018 POS/Customer Engagement Survey of top North American retailers offers insights into retailers’ current priorities and initiatives as digital and physical retail environments converge to facilitate a seamless experience across channels.
The key customer experience trends driving today’s initiatives are:
Personal – Engaging the customer through personalization and relevance is the key to attracting and keeping customers.
• 62% of retailers indicate customer identification is their top customer engagement priority
• 83% will suggestive sell based on previous purchases within three years
Mobile – The pervasiveness and ease-of-use of mobile devices offers tremendous opportunities for retailers as the customer takes control of their own retail experience across channels.
• 62% plan to increase their use of mobile devices as the POS by the end of 2019
• 42% will use customer-owned mobile devices as a point of sale within three years
Seamless – Customer expectations for a personalized and seamless experience require retailers to follow customers’ journeys across channels as they research, shop and purchase.
• 81% plan to offer unified commerce by the end of 2020
• 91% plan to offer order visibility across channels within three years
Secure – Today’s retail environment requires security beyond retailers’ current focus on payments and networks.
• 91% will have end-to-end encryption (E2EE) by the end of 2020
• 61% will offer a single token solution across the enterprise within three years