79% of Consumers Want a Personalized In-store Experience
According to BRP’s SPECIAL REPORT: Personalization, today’s online shoppers are accustomed to features such as product reviews, expansive merchandise choices, one-click transaction processing and personalized recommendations. These expectations don’t dissipate when the customer walks into a physical store. In fact, customer expectations are likely magnified across all channels because most consumers shop more than one channel as part of their shopping journey and expect the same benefits across channels.
In the store, sales associates are an integral part of the necessary personalization, offering relevant recommendations and offerings. According to BRP’s Consumer Study, 79% of the customers indicated personalized service from a sales associate was an important factor in determining at which store they choose to shop.
In today’s crowded and highly competitive market, personalization is a critical component for optimizing the customer’s shopping experience. Customer identification is necessary to personalize the in-store shopping experience; however, 63% of retailers can’t identify their customers prior to checkout, which is too late to empower the as
The SPECIAL REPORT: Personalization key findings include:
- Customer expectations: 64% are comfortable with retailers identifying them via their mobile phone when they enter a store, as long as it means they are offered a personalized experience
- Retailer capabilities: 63% are unable to identify their customers prior to checkout and 20% can’t identify them until after checkout or not at all
- Customer expectations: 79% indicate that personalized service is an important factor in determining at which store they choose to shop
- Retailer capabilities: 53% indicate that personalization is one of their top customer engagement priorities for 2019
- Customer expectations: 68% are likely to shop at a store offering personalized rewards based on customer loyalty
- Retailer capabilities: 48% currently offer personalized rewards based on customer loyalty and another 30% plan to offer within two years