As retailers look for ways to differentiate in today’s highly competitive market, customer engagement strategies like personalization, mobile experience and real-time retail are critical components for optimizing the customer’s shopping experience. In fact, according to the recent BRP Consumer Study, 79% said personalized service from a sales associate was an important factor in determining at which store they choose to shop. Retailers understand the importance of personalization as 53% are focused on this for 2019, according to the 20thAnnual POS/Customer Engagement Benchmark Survey.
Retailers understand the imperative for change, as 94% of retailers, up from 81% last year, have indicated that they have or plan to implement a single unified commerce platform within the next three years. “It is time to reimagine the customer engagement model as yesterday’s retail is dead, and agility is paramount as retail continues to rapidly evolve,” said Brian Brunk, principal at BRP. “Key to this agility and transformation is a single commerce platform. Victory belongs to the agile.”
“As customer expectations for an increasingly customized experience increase and evolve, retailers are adopting new ways to identify customers and personalize their shopping journey,” said Perry Kramer, senior vice president and practice lead at BRP. “Retailers continue to offer more mobile services from a consumer-facing and associate-facing perspective that include personalized recommendations, loyalty rewards, coupons, discounts and promotions. It is also interesting to note that 63% of retailers plan on having the ability to use a customer owned mobile device as a POS device within three years.
BRP’s 20thAnnual POS/Customer Engagement Survey of top North American retailers offers insights into retailers’ current priorities and initiatives as digital and physical retail environments converge to facilitate a seamless experience across channels.
The key customer experience trends driving today’s initiatives are:
PERSONAL – Engaging the customer with personalized and relevant messaging is the key to customer loyalty
- 79% of consumers said personalized service from a sales associate is an important factor in determining at which store they choose to shop
- 53% of retailers indicate that personalization is one of their top customer engagement priorities
MOBILE – The pervasiveness and ease-of-use of mobile devices offers tremendous opportunities for retailers
- 63% of consumers use their mobile phone while shopping in a store to compare prices, look for offers/coupons, check inventory availability, etc.
- 49% of retailers indicate that the customer mobile experience is one of their top customer engagement priorities
SEAMLESS – Today’s customer journey crisscrosses channels, requiring the retailer to provide a seamless, personalized experience
- 56% of consumers indicate they are more likely to shop at a retailer that allows them to have a shared cart across channels
- 94% of retailers have or plan to implement a single unified commerce platform within three years, up from 81% last year
SECURE – Today’s retail environment requires security beyond retailers’ current focus on payments and networks
- 50% of consumers are likely to allow retailers to save purchase history, personal preferences and personal details if it eases the checkout process and allows for more personalized offers
- 61% of retailers have implemented end-to-end encryption to offer customers greater security of their personal and payment data
I encourage you to download the complete 20thAnnual POS/CustomerEngagement Benchmarking Survey:
As always, I appreciate your feedback on this report. Please share your comments and opinions below.