As customer shopping journeys continue to span across channels, it is imperative for retail planning processes, systems and organizations to be streamlined and integrated to meet increased customer expectations. Current disparate solutions must be transformed into one cohesive environment with the ability to offer customers a seamless shopping environment and the capability to deliver the right merchandise immediately – wherever it is needed. BRP published the 2018 Integrated Planning and Inventory Management Survey to offer insights on the key challenges and benefits of integrating planning processes and systems and identify where retailers are on this path to providing a holistic shopping experience.
“Today’s customer journey requires retailers to use an integrated set of solutions, processes and organization to create and deliver the shopping experience consumers expect,” said Gene Bornac, senior vice president and practice lead, BRP. “The good news is that many retailers realize their systems and processes need improvement and are planning to replace more than 50% of their planning systems within the next three years. Retailers are also focused on improving the integration of actionable customer data into their planning activities, as customer demand is a critical variable in today’s customer-led demand planning.”
Align the organization
- 40% of retailer currently have an integrated planning organization across channels and 73% of those indicate it needs improvement
- Within three years, 87% of retailers plan to have an integrated planning organization across channels
Integrate planning processes
- 43% of retailer currently have an integrated planning business processes across channels and 84% of those indicate it needs improvement
- Within three years, 93% of retailers plan to have integrated planning business processes across channels
- 39% of retailer currently have an integrated planning systems across channels and 82% of those indicate it needs improvement
- Within three years, 89% of retailers will have integrated planning systems across channels
Prioritize customer data
- 54% of retailers are focused on better integration of actionable customer data into their planning activities
- 44% of retailers utilize customer feedback in real-time to impact in-season planning
A special thanks goes to the sponsors of this survey: platinum sponsors are Aptos and Mi9, gold sponsors are Celect and Retalon, and silver sponsors are ANT USA and enVista.
To download the 2018 Integrated Planning and Inventory Management Survey, visit:
As always, I welcome your thoughts on this topic. Please share your opinions and feedback below.